Skip to main content

Rent Arrears

✓ Free & Impartial Advice

✓ 100% Confidential

✓ Stop HMRC & Creditor Pressure

✓ Approved & Regulated

  1. Home
  2. /
  3. Rent Arrears

What are Rent Arrears?

If you have failed to pay your rent payments and a balance is owed to your landlord, this is known as rent arrears. Rent is a priority bill that needs to be paid, so being behind on these payments could cause you serious consequences and you may get evicted. In this situation, you need to act quickly rather than ignoring the problem and hoping it will go away.

First, you should contact your landlord. They are likely to be more understanding if you show them that you are trying your hardest to resolve the problem.

As with all debts, it’s important that you work out a realistic budget that you can stick to. It’s also important that when making an agreement with your landlord, you don’t try and pay back more than you can actually afford. It will work out better in the long run if you pay back the arrear in smaller installments over time.

If you’re struggling with your rent due to low income or you’re already on benefits, then you might be entitled to extra support through housing benefit. It’s also possible to get this backdated for up to six months if you qualify for the benefit and have a good reason for not applying earlier, so it is definitely worth looking into.

Worried about your Rent Arrears?

If you are worried about how you are going to repay your Rent Arrears, we’re here to help you! There are many people who will find themselves in a financial struggle after falling behind on their rent. Here at Business Helpline,  we can discuss all of your options and help you plan for a better future.
Call our team today on 0800 088 2142.

Can universal credit pay my rent arrears?

This depends on the council, but mostly, they won’t let you apply if you still have arrears on a previous property. However, in many other situations dealing rent arrears from another property can be viewed as non-priority as you cannot be evicted for this reason, even if it’s the same landlord. The only exception to this is if court action has been taken against you for the balance owed.

Will the council house me with arrears?

There are a number of possible ways that a person could claim redundancy pay. These include:

▪️ The director having a contract of employment

▪️ The director’s company being insolvent 

▪️ The employee working 16 or more weekly hours for the company

▪️  If the previous role of the recipient was more than non-executive

Get in touch

Call one of our compassionate experts at 0800 088 2142.

Tp3 4star 175 2x

Rated Excellent Trustpilot Reviews

Absolutely fantastic, very helpful and understanding at a difficult time.

Get free and impartial expert advice

Check if you qualify online

  • Free company assessment
  • Understand your available options
  • Stop pending creditor action
  • Understand your next steps
Get StartedWhatsApp

Did you know?

Are you eligible to claim Director Redundancy?

As a Limited Company Director you may be entitled to claim Director Redundancy – Average UK claim is £9,000*.

Rent Arrears FAQs

How do I make a priority payment?

Rent is considered to be a priority payment. You need to pay your rent in order to live, or work, in some form of accommodation (unless you own a house outright).

You could be at risk of eviction if you fall behind on your rent.

Try to:

▪️ ensure that rent is paid on time

▪️ come to a payment plan with the people you owe money to

We can help you to sort out a budget so please do get in touch!

Can I get Universal Credit to help me with rent if I am working?

You will usually be able to acquire universal credit if you are of working age and have low income.

Universal credit includes a housing feature that can help with rent.

You can ask the DWP to pay your housing element straight to your landlord if you owe up to 2 months rent or have another specific situation that needs addressing.

What is a discretionary housing payment?

A DHP is an additional payment from your local council, designed to help you to pay your full rent if you are on universal credit or housing benefit.

How should I deal with my rent arrears?

Try to solve any nagging issues with your landlord or housing agent. If you can convince them with a plan to make repayments, they might even let you stay in the property.

Do not ignore letters from your landlord or your agent. Tackle these problems head on and try your best to explain why payments have not been paid.

What should my budget look like?

Your budget should illustrate that:

▪️ you have enough money to cover essential spending

▪️ you have leftover money to pay arrears in installments

Some costs can vary over the year, making estimations difficult. A monthly estimate of £15 on clothing might be an underestimation on some months and an overestimation on others.

A clear and concise budget can help you to make repayments to your landlord or letting agent.

24hr Helpline

Speak to an insolvency expert for immediate help and advice and to arrange a free no-obligation consultation with your local office

0800 088 2142

WhatsApp Our Team

Email our team to arrange a call back or to request further information on how we can help

Send us a Message

Live Chat Online

Immediately find out whether liquidation could be appropriate for your company

Chat To An Expert

Contact our dedicated team

If you are looking to get advice for your company, taking advice at an early stage is crucial. Business Helpline is a licensed insolvency practitioner who is committed to providing free impartial help and advice.

  • Free initial assessment
  • Private & Strictly confidential
  • Fully licensed insolvency practitioners
  • Dedicated caseworker
  • Face to face appointments available
Copy Of Garden Guru 2

Complete your details below to get in touch

    • 100% Free & Confidential Advice