Council Tax Support

Working out your council tax

You’ll need to know 3 things:

▪️The valuation band for your home in England and Wales or in Scotland

▪️How much your local council charges for that band

▪️Whether you can get a discount or exemption from the full bill

You may be able to get Council Tax Reduction (this used to be called Council Tax Benefit) if you’re on a low income or get benefits.

You can challenge your Council Tax band if you think your home is in the wrong valuation band.

Changes that may affect your council tax band

Your property may be revalued and put in a different band in some circumstances, for example, if:

▪️You demolish part of your property and don’t rebuild it

▪️You alter your property to create 2 or more self-contained units, for example an annexe – each unit will have its own band

▪️You split a single property into self-contained flats

▪️You convert flats into a single property

▪️You start or stop working from home

▪️The previous owner made changes to your property

▪️There are significant changes to your local area, like a new road being built

▪️A similar property in your area has its Council Tax band changed


Ask the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) if you want to know if changes to your property will affect your Council Tax band.

“I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. They are always at the end of a text or phone call . They were very informative throughout the process and extremely helpful”

LindsayFirst Class

Am I entitled to council tax reduction and relief?

You may qualify for council tax relief, which is a way to reduce your council tax bill if:

▪️If you live on your own, you’re entitled to a 25% ‘single person discount’. Also, some people are not counted when working out council tax. If you live with an apprentice, a full-time student, or a person who is significantly mentally impaired you may still qualify for a 25% discount.

▪️You may qualify for a reduction of your council tax if you’re on a low income. This is where your council tax bill is reduced based on your financial income. Local authorities have different thresholds for who qualifies.

▪️You will get an extra council tax reduction if you are above the pension age.

▪️You may also qualify to have your council tax reduced by one band if somebody in your household is disabled and the property has been adapted.

You need to ensure that you let your local authority know if your circumstances change so they can send you an updated bill.

If you do receive help and are still struggling to keep up with your payments, this could be a sign of a further debt problem. You need to get free, impartial debt advice. All of our advisers at Council Tax Helper are fully trained and solely focused on offering debt advice. Call us on 0800 088 2303 or fill out our quick and simple form to request a call back.

Apply for a council tax reduction

Apply to your local council for Council Tax Reduction (sometimes called Council Tax Support). You’ll get a discount on your bill if you’re eligible. The Council Tax Reduction replaced the Council Tax Benefit in April 2013.

Find Out Your Local Council Details:

Metropolitan and Local Council Authority

Unitary Local Authority Councils

District Councils

London Borough Local Authority Councils

Welsh Councils

What you need to know

There’s a different scheme in Northern Ireland.

You could be eligible if you’re on a low income or claim benefits. Your bill could be reduced by up to 100%.

You can apply if you own your home, rent, are unemployed, or working.

What you get depends on:

▪️where you live – each council runs its own scheme

▪️your circumstances (eg income, number of children, benefits, residency status)

▪️your household income – this includes savings, pensions and your partner’s income

▪️if your children live with you

▪️if other adults live with you

Don't Feel Alone With Debt, Get Started Online